Lot 1605 (The Works of Art, Medals, Militaria & Furniture Auction, 26th April 2019)
Sold for £2,200
- Signs of wear consistent with age
- Red bears loose from central heart motif, these appear present loose within the case
- Some marks and chips to wooden case
- Label to reverse covered with plastic for protection
- Two parts of wooden border around the glass are loose, these are present within the case
- See additional photographs added
19TH CENTURY SAILORS VALENTINE,
the hinged case opening to reveal two shell work displays, one depicting heart and floral motif, the other inscribed 'Think of Me' within shell border, under glass, within a hinged octagonal stained wood case, bearing B.H. Belgrave Barbados label to reverse, 35.5cm high
Note: B.H. (Benjamin Hinds) Belgrave opened the New Curiosity Shop - featuring “Marine Specimens and Native Manufactures in Fancy Work” - in Bridgetown Barbados in 1878. Now known as the primary source of Sailors Valentines, the shop was later taken over and operated by his brother, George Belgrave, from 1895 until his death in 1925.
Condition reports indicate issues visible to the naked eye. Whilst every effort is made to provide accurate and honest condition reports, none of our staff is a professional conservator or restorer. Any condition report offered should be accepted as an indication of any obvious issues or problems or the lack of them. The condition report does not form part of any contract between McTear's and the buyer, and all lots are offered "as is" in accordance with our Terms of Business in the printed catalogue and available on our website.